The archives at the Powers Museum house a large collection of correspondence from Marian Wright Powers as well as other family correspondence, photographs, and other memorabilia related to the Wright, Powers, and Winchester families.
This online guide includes descriptions of several large archival donations from the community covering various organizations or topics including the Pollard Estate (rental records and bills for the Pollard I & II buildings on Main Street), Carthage baseball teams of the 1930s-50s, selected construction and loan records for the Jasper County Building & Loan Association, and historical records of the Bank of Carthage as well as other Carthage banks and businesses the Bank of Carthage was connected with or took over. Other smaller gifts have added to the postcard and photograph collections featuring other Carthage subjects. Several local men's and women's organizations such as Carthage Council on Social Agencies and the Rhoda Fairchild Chapter of the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution have donated club records and scrapbooks as groups disbanded or moved to new meeting facilities.
Please note, selected items from the museum's archival and artifact holdings are being processed as part of an on-going digitization project and access to original materials be limited during processing periods. During 2016-17, many resources are being checked and reboxed. Part of the funding for this project was donated by the Carthage Community Foundation and by Dr. Kelly Woestman.
Highlights of the archive include:
- Bank of Carthage Collection
- Carthage Chamber of Commerce (1947 - 1976)
- Carthage Club Scrapbooks
- Carthage Maple Leaf Festival (1968 - 1970s)
- Carthage Scrapbooks for Missouri Community Betterment Contests (1964 - 1976)
- Carthage Sesquicentennial Celebration (1966 - 1967)
- Carthage Sportsmen Protective League Kellogg Lake (1950s)
- Daughters of the American Revolution - Rhoda Fairchild Chapter (1910 - 1998)
- Doctor Everett Powers World War I Letters (1918)
- Hall-Ketcham Family Collection (1837 - 1980s)
- Hawthorne Elementary School Collection (1922 - 1998)
- Jasper County Savings & Loan Archival Collection
- Marian Louisa Powers Childhood Scrapbooks (Currently Processing)
- Ward Schrantz Articles Collection
- These articles represent a local history column written in the 1950s by Ward Schrantz. They were presented in chronological fashion in the Carthage Evening Press. The author began in 1942 and worked forward into the early 1900s until stopped by his death.
- Wright-Powers Correspondence Collection (1865 - 1981)
- Wright-Powers Photographic Scrapbooks (Currently Processing)
The Riches from the Earth project contains photographs, postcards, printed documents and selected text articles. Town designations were taken from identifications on the photographs. Some mines may be listed in one photograph as being in one location and in another photograph as being in another location. These differences occur in the case of mines situated between two towns or of mines that are part of a larger corporate holding (especially if no number designation was associated with the mine name). Also, during the corporate tenure of larger mining companies, company names may have changed but the names found on the original photographs have been used as the preferred name.